Any publication on the application of Lean principles within organizations will mention the critical importance of leadership to the success of the initiative, or the lack of success if leadership is absent. That is why this certification has a prominent place in the Lean IT Association’s certification scheme.
There are thousands of publications on Leadership, many on Leadership in IT, less on Lean leadership and very few on Lean leadership within the IT context. This course brings together published ideas on leadership, lean leadership and leadership in IT, and combines this with practical experience from Lean IT practitioners, to provide a well-rounded view of Lean leadership within IT.
This course is useful for managers and professionals who want to lead the change towards being a Lean organization.
The Lean IT Leadership is a three-day course. It will give an in-depth look at the key elements on Lean Leadership in the IT context. Starting with the core concepts of Lean Leadership, followed by the Leadership Developments Model and then self-development, developing others, building teams, creating a vision, practicing lean leadership, changing the organization and exam preparation.
The course is a mixture of learning the concepts of Lean IT Leadership and discussion about how to make these concepts practical to you as a leader in your organizational context. Additionally, we will use the A3 method to record and communicate your personal challenges in growing towards Lean IT Leadership.
This course is aimed at understanding Lean IT Leadership, the impact on you as a leader and your role in developing other leaders in your organization.
Course and Learning Objectives
At the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Understand the concept of Lean Leadership;
- Know the application of Lean Leadership in the IT Context;
- Use the Lean IT Leadership development model ;
- Develop yourself towards being a Lean IT leader;
- Help others in developing themselves as Lean IT leaders;
- Align the Vision and Goals of your organization;
- Understand the concept of change in a organization;
- Understand how to take the lead in changing your organization;
Course Student Material
Students will receive a Lean IT Leadership student workbook containing all presentation material of the training. On top of that, the syllabus, exercises, glossary and sample exam questions are included in the student workbook.
1. Lean IT Leadership
- Introduction on leadership
- The key elements of Lean Leadership
- Leadership in the IT context
2. Developing Yourself
- How to develop yourself
- The concept of Shu-ha-Ri
- The “kata” of leadership
- Go to the Gemba—to develop yourself
3. Leader Standard Work
- The concept of standard work for Lean IT Leaders
- The Gemba—as standard work
- Aligning meetings
- The value of creating habits
4. Developing Others
- How to develop others
- Go to the Gemba—to develop others
- Performance dialogue
- T-type leaders
- Skills &Knowledge matrix
5. Building Teams
- What is teamwork?
- Effective teams
- The value of Trust
- Daily kaizen
6. Create Vision and Align Goals
- Hoshin Kanri
- The use of visual management
- Cascading goals—catchball mechanism
7. Practicing Lean IT Leadership
- Mental models
- Leading meetings
- Day on a life of the Lean IT Leader
8. Changing Your Organization
- Organizational Change
- Lean IT transformations
- Change: Top-down or bottom up?
- Change Story
9. Exam Preparation
- Sample Exam
- How to prepare for the exam Check Out
Managers and professionals in (IT) organizations.
A LEAN IT Foundation certificate is a pre-requisite for this course.
- Closed book exam with 40 multiple-choice questions.
- The pass score is 65% (26 out of 40 questions).
- The exam duration is 90 minutes.
- The exam is compliant with the Lean IT Association syllabus and APMG-International™ accredited.
Lean IT Leadership
The price of this training includes an exam.